The pituitary gland is part of the endocrine system. The pituitary gland releases the growth hormone and when (for some reason) there isn't enough being released, the deficiency causes pituitary dwarfism.
People with dwarfism have shorter statures than most people. The longitudinal bone growth is interrupted by either mutated genes or growth hormone deficiency. Most people with dwarfism also have problems such as scoliosis with their curved spines.
Some people with dwarfism may have more trouble breathing. They could develop sleep apnea, which means they stop breathing temporarily during sleep. This is most likely due to their airways being obstructed by tonsils or because of smaller anatomy.
A small percentage may suffer from hydrocephalus, which is excess fluid around the brain. Also, sometimes there are cases where a person's brain or spinal cord is compressed causing complications and requiring surgery.
- "Dwarfism." KidsHealth For Parents : Akron Children's Hospital. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2014. <https://www.akronchildrens.org/cms/kidshealth/5584291d2edb8122/index.html>.
- Hydrocephalus. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Nov. 2014. <http://aidstation.blogspot.com/>.
- Pituitary gland. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Nov. 2014. <http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17227.htm>.
- "Skeletal Dysplasia ." Skeletal Dysplasia. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2014. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/943343-overview#a0104>.
- Skeletal system. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Nov. 2014. <http://www.radiologyclub.com/Obstetrics-Antenatal/13-2-Cases-of-Thanatophoric-Dwarfism.html#ia_lightbox[a/admin/aa96b22ab9.jpg]/0/>.
- Sleep apnea. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Nov. 2014. <http://swendasleep.com/>.